Know what you want? Try our 'Supplier Directory' 

Unregistered gas fitter fined £23,000

An unregistered gas fitter from Chelmsford has been fined for illegally stating that he was a registered gas engineer on adverts and paperwork.
Clive Farrant from Chelmsford used a false CORGI registration number in adverts and paperwork when trading as Essex Plumbing Connection. He also committed offences as a director of Secret Heat Ltd.

Investigations by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found Mr Farrant had carried out gas work at several properties and left them all in a dangerous condition. The incidents happened around Chelmsford in Essex, between July 2006 and June 2009, when CORGI registration was vital to ensure the safety of consumers prior to the scheme being replaced by the Gas Safe Register in 2009.

Mr Farrant, admitted ten out of 11 charges relating to the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 and Gas Safety Regulations 1998 when he appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court. He was fined £23,000 with £5,000 costs.

After the sentencing, HSE inspector Samantha Thomson, said: 'There is no excuse for illegally carrying out work on gas appliances - and to falsify documentation in order to defraud customers is not only a terrible thing to do but also a very serious offence. It is illegal for any unregistered person to carry out such work. When unqualified workers try to bypass the law in this way they are not only putting themselves at risk of prosecution, a large fine and a lengthy time in prison - they are also putting their customers' lives at risk.

'Working with gas appliances is difficult, specialised and potentially very dangerous. Only qualified and registered engineers should attempt it. HSE will not hesitate to prosecute those who break the law in this way.'

Paul Johnston, chief executive of Gas Safe Register added: 'People employing an engineer to fit, fix or service gas appliances, should always make sure that person is Gas Safe registered. Don't just take their word for it. Check they are on the Gas Safe Register and check their ID card when they arrive at your door.

'People shouldn't take any risks. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause fires, explosions, gas leaks and carbon monoxide poisoning.'



Follow HVROnlineEditor on Twitter
11 May 2011

Comments

By Paul Lerner
11 May 2011 01:01:00
Regretfully being on the register is not always a guarantee of competence especially with the farce that is the ACS system. Consumers must watch Rogue Traders and wonder who to trust.
Already Registered?
Login
Not Yet Registered?
Register

HVR Awards 2022: The winners revealed

The winners of the HVR Awards 2022 were announced last night at a gala event held at the Chelsea Harbour Hotel in London.

Organised by Datateam Business Media, publisher of leading industry publication Heating & Ventilating Review, the HVR Awards have been championing innovation, excellence and achievement across the heating and ventilating industry for over a decade. 

  30-Sep-2022

Rinnai adds solar products to create leading edge continuous flow hybrid systems

Rinnai moves into the next phase of H3 product development with the addition of Solar ProductsNow available from Rinnai is the Naked Energy award-winning range of VirtuHOT evacuated tube and pv tech, each with specific benefits to suit any site or ...

  28-Sep-2022

If you need to open a Solenoid Valve manually, you need a SVOM!

If you need to open a Solenoid Valve manually, you need a SVOM!
  22-Oct-2021
Heating & Ventilating Review is the number one magazine in the HVAR industry. Don’t miss out, subscribe today!
Subcribe to HVR

Diary

BESA CONFERENCE