SLC Lavalin Atkins was recognised as the overall Digital Engineering Champion for its consistent application of high quality digital design. This was also recognised in the Best Process and Application category in which its Digital Blueprint technology narrowly beat off several impressive entries to take the award.
Innovative applications and working practice were the hallmark of the awards entries, but the Innovation category was looking for genuinely ground-breaking thought. In a very tight result, BuroHappold took the award for its Single Analysis Model, solving one of the perennial problems of digital design.
Michal Dengusiak of Buro Happold Engineering was singled out as Best Digital Engineer for his work across the digital spectrum of the organisation, exploiting a wide range of data and interpretive tools to help the company streamline its business, and revealing insights to drive improved building design.
Speaking at the awards presentation event, which took place at the CIBSE conference Build2Perform Live, CIBSE’s Rowan Crowley highlighted the success of this inaugural awards programme: “The response to this new awards scheme has amazed us and, from a CIBSE perspective, it was great to see the number of international entries coming from Australia, Hong Kong and the US as well as the UK and Europe.
“CIBSE engineers have been at the forefront of developing and implementing digital engineering solutions so it was natural for the organisation to establish the Society of Digital Engineers last year. The purpose of SDE is to provide engineers who specialise in digital engineering with formal recognition of their particular skill set. The awards programme gives us the opportunity to single out examples of excellence in this fast-moving sector.”
The winners of the inaugural Digital Engineering Awards are as follows:
- Best Process and Innovation: SNC Lavalin Akins for its Building Design Digital Bluepint
- Best Innovation: BuroHappold Engineering for its Single Analysis Model
- Best Project/Collaboration – project £10m or less: The Tuen Mun School Dental Clinic by the Electrical and Mechanical Services Department of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Department
- Best Project/Collaboration – project over £10m: Engineering Research Centre at Brown University by BuroHappold Engineering
- Best Consultancy: BuroHappold Engineering
- Best Manufacturer: Legrand Electric
- Best Digital Engineer: Michal Dengusiak, BuroHappold Engineering
- Digital Engineering Champion: SNC Lavalin Atkins
The Digital Engineering Awards have been established by the Society of Digital Engineers, an organisation within CIBSE which provides a community for accreditation, training and career development for all engineers working digitally across building services and its supply chain.
The awards scheme was sponsored by Autodesk and Cadline.