Lessons in combustion
Three recent chimney projects illustrate how flues can help in educational establishments
Airtherm designed, supplied and installed a twin wall stainless steel flue system, serving each MHS Adinox ADI LT 200 modulating boiler at Oakham Primary School in Dudley, West Midlands. The existing ageing plant consisted of two cast iron boilers which were removed by main contractor Lord Combustion to make way for a more modern plant.
The product selected was a twin wall insulated stainless steel pre-fabricated exhaust system. It is manufactured from a 0.6mm grade 316L inner liner and a 0.4mm grade 304L outer case with the 37.5mm void packed with 128kg/cu m high density insulation. The joints are push-fit complete with a tri-lip inner silicone ring.
Designed to give a positive pressure resistance of up to 2KPa and a continuous high temperature capability of up to 760 deg C, the exhaust system is independently tested to BS476: Part 24 for four hours.
It is approved and CE marked to EN 1856-1 and manufactured in accordance with the BS EN 9001: 2008 quality management standard.
Manufacture and installation are in accordance with local and national building regulations together with:
· BS: 5440 - 1:2008 Domestic natural gas appliances international codes.
· BS EN 15287:2007 for masonry chimneys and flue pipes.
· BS 6644:2011 Specification for the installation and maintenance of gas-fired hot water boilers of rated inputs between 70kW (net) and 1.8MW (net) (second and third family gases).
· IGE/UP/10 Installation of flued gas appliances in industrial and commercial premises.
· Clean Air Act Memorandum.
· Chimneys to BS4076 and corresponding.
The consultant on this project was Spicer Surveyors.
Meanwhile, Airtherm has completed an installation using Nova product serving two wall-hung Mikrofil Ethos 90kW condensing boilers at St Gregory's RC School in Birmingham.
Nova is a new breed of chimney system designed to offer 'a single solution for virtually all of today's combustion requirements'. It is claimed to be a true multi-fuel/multi-application product, whether being used to serve a solid fuel stove, vent the latest high efficiency condensing appliances or biomass wood chip/pellet stove.
With a range of 13 sizes from 100mm to 600mm internal diameter, Nova covers both domestic and commercial applications. Manufactured from a 316L inner liner, 25mm high density insulated annulus and a grade 304 outer case, it is designed with a rapid fit multi-barbed twist lock jointing system.
Says Airtherm: 'This not only offers a fast and simple installation method, but also a durable and strong joint allowing a free-standing height of up to 3m to be support above the last support.
'When used on appliances which produce high levels of condensation, such as highly efficient condensing appliances, Nova can be retrofitted with a seal to allow both positive pressure and condensate resistance up to 200Pa, based on a maximum flue gas temperature of 200 deg C.'
Nova is designed to offer:
· Fully welded construction.
· A high level of insulation.
· High thermal resistance.
· High speed twist lock jointing system to aid installation.
Without seals, the product is suitable for multi fuel applications up to 450 deg C.
Finally, Airtherm has designed, supplied and installed a 500mm diameter stainless steel, twin wall, fully welded, four-hour fire rated, gas and water tight Dinak DWhp flue system serving three Clyde condensing boilers with a total output of 2.2MW for the UCL Academy in Camden.
The system comprises a 10m horizontal run and a 26m vertical, complete with the drains incorporated to allow unwanted condense to evacuate to the system.
The UCL Academy will be housed in new, purpose-built accommodation on Adelaide Road in Swiss Cottage, North London.
The Academy's facilities include:
· Science laboratories and a science demonstration theatre.
· An engineering science suite, which will include workshops and technology and science labs (for electronics and for engineering physics) designed to give students the experience of 'being engineers'.
· Suites of rooms for art, music and drama, including highly-equipped performance spaces.
· 'House' spaces, providing comfortable places for students to eat together, and to use for informal study during breaks and before and after school.
10 December 2012