A Chelmsford gas installer has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for carrying out illegal and dangerous gas work at a home in Colchester.
William Saint was hired to install a gas fired boiler to heat a swimming pool at a home in Brightlingsea on 1 April 2013, even though he was not registered with Gas Safe Register.
Despite making several attempts at installing the boiler, it failed to operate successfully and was deemed to be immediately dangerous when it was later inspected by British Gas.
On 1 May this year Colchester Magistrates' Court heard that despite receiving advice from a Gas Safe Register engineer, Mr Saint failed to rectify all the faults. The installation was classed as 'at risk' by Gas Safe Register and the matter was passed to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), who prosecuted Mr Saint for safety failings.
Mr Saint was handed a four-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months, plus 150 hours of unpaid community work after pleading guilty to three separate breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was also ordered to pay costs of £850.