Know what you want? Try our 'Supplier Directory' 

Six year old poisoned by faulty boiler fumes

Elisabeth Giauque died two days after she was found unconscious in her bed due to carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty boiler.
Elizabeth was found by her parents on February 4, 2005, in the Wimbledon house they rented. The cause of her death came to light four days later when two more family members who stayed overnight in Elizabeth's room, collapsed after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes.

The owner and landlord of the property, Hussein Jajbhay, pleaded guilty to two breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 for failure of maintenance and failure to maintain a gas fitting in a safe condition.

Jajbhay, the director of property firm Amadeus Investments, was fined £20,000 and ordered to pay £35,000 costs at Blackfriars Crown Court.

The last service and maintenance of the property's boiler was carried out in January 2002. A landlords' gas safety certificate was issued following an inspection in January 2003, but this had expired more than 12 months before the fatal incident.

28 May 2008

Comments

By fedoc77
28 May 2008 01:01:00
This is such a crime horrible to have happen. I myself am having fumes from my boiler. Why are landlords so careless of the lives of other people? The boiler should have been maintained properly and this child would still be here.
Already Registered?
Login
Not Yet Registered?
Register

Trade unions push for indoor air quality pledge

Trade unions and scientists want employers to sign a pledge to protect the health and well-being of their employees by improving workplace conditions, including turning their buildings into ‘safe havens’ from polluted air....

  17-May-2022

Introducing Classic from Fulton

The new Classic from heat transfer specialist Fulton builds on the successes of its 70-year boiler manufacturing history to deliver a vertical steam boiler that is engineered to meet its customers’ requirements....

  18-May-2022

If you need to open a Solenoid Valve manually, you need a SVOM!

If you need to open a Solenoid Valve manually, you need a SVOM!
  22-Oct-2021
Heating & Ventilating Review is the number one magazine in the HVAR industry. Don’t miss out, subscribe today!
Subcribe to HVR

Diary

BESA CONFERENCE