Know what you want? Try our 'Supplier Directory' 

Badly maintained gas boiler puts tenants in hospital

Tenants at a house in Worcester had to be hospitalised on March 16, 2009, following their exposure to carbon monoxide fumes from a gas boiler.
The incident led the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to prosecute the poisoned tenants' landlord Shazad Ishaq who pleaded guilty to contravening Regulations 36(2)(a) and 36(6)(b) of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was fined £2,500 and ordered to pay £1,500 costs by Worcester Magistrates on July 27.

The HSE identified inadequate air supply to the boiler which was housed in a kitchen cupboard, inadequate cleaning and maintenance of the boiler, particularly the filters, visual signs of soot and flue gas spillage on the inside of the cupboard and boiler casing and that the flue was 'not to current standards'.

The court heard that before the family was evacuated, a National Grid engineer identified a flue gas spillage and the gas supply to the boiler and cooker hob was disconnected.

HSE Inspector Janice Willets said: 'The gas inspector's investigation concluded that no maintenance or cleaning work appeared to have been carried out on the boiler for a considerable period prior to the incident. Further investigations also showed a landlord's gas safety certificate had not been made available to the tenant for several months'.
30 July 2009

Comments

Already Registered?
Login
Not Yet Registered?
Register

Despite low uptake of BUS, Brits show interest in green solutions

There are 95,454 searches on Google for heat pumps each month in the UK, yet only a 38% uptake in the boiler upgrade scheme. Despite the low uptake, energy experts at Confused.com see the strong interest among Brits in green energy sources as a ...

  16-May-2024

Clivet, continued growth

Clivet Group UK recently welcomed four new starters to shore up the sales and support functions, working under Kevin Harrison-Ellis, Head of UK Sales, and the service department....

  16-May-2024

STOKVIS R600

CONDENSING ULTRA LOW NOx PREMIX COMMERCIAL BOILER
  10-Jan-2019
Heating & Ventilating Review is the number one magazine in the HVAR industry. Don’t miss out, subscribe today!
Subcribe to HVR

Diary

HVR Awards 2024