Cambridge Magistrates Court heard last week (22 November) that a landlord risked tenants' health by failing to ensure gas appliances were safe to use and then produced a fake certificate to give the impression they were.
Cambridge City Council issued a notice in October 2009 requiring Emran Hussain to produce a valid Landlord's Gas Safety Record for a property rented to four tenants on Spalding Way.
However, he failed to do this and the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) was notified. He was served with an Improvement Notice that he also ignored. As this flouted safety law he was summoned to appear in court on 23 August this year.
On the day of the hearing he presented a copy of the required gas safety certificate as evidence, which purported to be valid for the dates on the Improvement Notice. However, HSE checks revealed that it was fake.
Mr Hussain pleaded guilty to two charges under Section 33(1) of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 for his legal failings and dishonesty. He was sentenced to spend two months in jail for each offence, with the sentences to run concurrently but suspended for 12 months. He also has to wear an electronic tag for two months and was ordered to pay full prosecution costs of £4,768.
After the hearing HSE Inspector Roxanne Barker said: 'Every year, around 20 people die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning caused by improperly installed or maintained gas appliances. Many others suffer ill health. There were four tenants at the property for which Mr Hussain was responsible, all of whom were put at unnecessary risk.'