Know what you want? Try our 'Supplier Directory' 

Community order served for illegal gas work

A Shropshire man has been prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) for carrying out gas work at an elderly couple's home without being Gas Safe registered.
James Alexander Dunsmore installed central heating, including a gas boiler, at an address in Bridgnorth, between 25 and 29 October 2010.

The 79-year-old woman, who cares for her husband, had received Mr Dunsmore's details from a neighbour and hired him under the impression he was an approved engineer on the Gas Safe Register. It was only after the work was completed, that it was discovered he was not.

Shrewsbury Crown Court heard that an HSE investigation carried out with the Gas Safe Register found a number of defects in the gas system at the premises, which Mr Dunsmore had failed to spot, including no emergency shut-off lever on the meter, which meant that the gas supply could not easily be shut off in an emergency. Also the gas supply pipe was also found not to be properly sleeved at the wall entry point. In the event of a gas leak, gas would have had a route back into the main house, with the potential to cause an explosion.

Although Mr Dunsmore had not installed the meter or supply pipe, he should have spotted the problems and taken the appropriate action. Mr Dunsmore pleaded guilty to breaching regulation 3(3) of the Gas Safety Installation and Use Regulations 1998. The court imposed a 12-month community order, in which Mr Dunsmore must complete 120 hours' unpaid work, and he was ordered to pay £750 compensation to the householder.

HSE inspector Janice Dale said: 'Anybody who carries out work on boilers, hobs, ovens, fires or any other gas appliances without being on the Gas Safe Register is breaking the law.

'Mr Dunsmore should not have undertaken the work, and furthermore, he failed to spot a number of faults with the gas system that could have put the householders at risk. Poorly maintained, faulty or badly installed gas work can cause explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal and can also cause serious long-term health problems.'

Follow HVROnlineEditor on Twitter
16 May 2011

Comments

Already Registered?
Login
Not Yet Registered?
Register

HVR Awards 2022: The winners revealed

The winners of the HVR Awards 2022 were announced last night at a gala event held at the Chelsea Harbour Hotel in London.

Organised by Datateam Business Media, publisher of leading industry publication Heating & Ventilating Review, the HVR Awards have been championing innovation, excellence and achievement across the heating and ventilating industry for over a decade. 

  30-Sep-2022

Rinnai adds solar products to create leading edge continuous flow hybrid systems

Rinnai moves into the next phase of H3 product development with the addition of Solar ProductsNow available from Rinnai is the Naked Energy award-winning range of VirtuHOT evacuated tube and pv tech, each with specific benefits to suit any site or ...

  28-Sep-2022

If you need to open a Solenoid Valve manually, you need a SVOM!

If you need to open a Solenoid Valve manually, you need a SVOM!
  22-Oct-2021
Heating & Ventilating Review is the number one magazine in the HVAR industry. Don’t miss out, subscribe today!
Subcribe to HVR

Diary

BESA CONFERENCE